The Plain Dealer’s Terry Pluto spoke to Indians CEO Paul Dolan, touching on many of the issues that have plagued the franchise since its last winning season in 2007. Of note, Dolan called his team’s 2012 season “the worst” in his family’s 14 years with the organization. Dolan also admits that, despite increased ticket sales as a result of the Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher signings, “we will lose money” in 2013.
More, via Pluto:
But he views it as a “long-term investment” in the franchise, something that had to be done.
“It’s self-evident that we should be a very exciting team with personality,” he said. “We certainly have challenges. How we deal with them will determine if we are playing meaningful baseball in September or not.
“But we are unequivocally a better team.”
Though the Indians are playing in a division that includes the reigning American League champion Detroit Tigers, the AL Central is seen as a weak division. If the Indians’ lackluster starting rotation can prove a lot of naysayers wrong, they could enjoy significantly more success than they saw in seasons prior, something which would justify Dolan’s refusal to put his team through a complete rebuilding phase.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.