Francisco Rodriguez’s first stint in New York didn’t end so well, but the free agent relieving is looking for work and “would love to” have a reunion with the Mets.
“To come back and redeem myself would be great, because I’ve got to be realistic and honest,” Rodriguez told Christina De Nicola of MLB.com. “You would have to be real blind to not see that I fell when I was there. That’s not even a question. To be able to get one more shot and get it done would be great.”
Of course, Rodriguez hasn’t actually heard from the Mets and … well, he shouldn’t be waiting by the phone.
It is interesting that he hasn’t found a gig somewhere, though, because for all his baggage Rodriguez is still just 31 years old and was an effective setup man for the Brewers during the past one-and-a-half seasons with a 3.65 ERA and 105 strikeouts in 101 innings. He’d upgrade a lot of bullpens, but either his price tag remains too high or teams have decided he’s simply not worth the hassle.
Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.
This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.
Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”
This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.
Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:
“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”