Jim Leyland says Tigers re-signing Jose Valverde “has not even been discussed”

3 Comments

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported over the weekend that Jim Leyland “remains interested” in re-signing Jose Valverde as a “closer safety net,” but yesterday the manager pretty clearly shot that down.

“That’s not in the picture, trust me,” Leyland told Jason Beck of MLB.com. “That has not even been discussed.”

Six weeks ago Leyland said he was “totally shocked” and “heart-broken” that Valverde couldn’t find a job, but if that were true I wondered why Leyland hadn’t made the case for the Tigers to actually re-sign him. Obviously it’s possible that Leyland did make that case and general manager Dave Dombrowski simply squashed it, but in the above quote at least the manager suggests no conversation took place about Valverde coming back to Detroit.

And now Valverde isn’t even pitching in the World Baseball Classic due to “personal reasons.”

Miguel Sano suspended one game for altercation with Tigers

Andy King/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Twins third baseman Miguel Sano has been suspended one game for his role in Saturday’s altercation with the Tigers, Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports. Sano will appeal his suspension, so he’ll be eligible to play until that is resolved.

On Saturday, Tigers outfielder JaCoby Jones was hit in the face by Twins pitcher Justin Haley. The Tigers’ Matt Boyd threw behind Sano when he came to the plate in the fifth inning, seemingly exacting revenge. Sano took exception, catcher James McCann pushed his glove into Sano’s face, and the benches emptied. Both Boyd and Sano were ejected from the game.

Sano has hit well in the early going, batting .241/.413/.569 with four home runs and 14 RBI with an MLB-best 17 walks in 75 plate appearances. Losing Sano for only one game won’t be the biggest deal for the Twins. Eduardo Escobar would get the start at third base to fill in for Sano if he loses his appeal.

Boyd was fined an undisclosed amount and not suspended, per MLB.com’s Jason Beck.

Matt Barnes suspended four games for throwing at Manny Machado

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
3 Comments

ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes has been suspended four games and fined an undisclosed amount for throwing at Orioles third baseman Manny Machado on Sunday. Barnes was exacting revenge for Machado’s slide which injured second baseman Dustin Pedroia on Friday, and was ejected immediately after throwing the pitch at Machado.

Barnes is appealing his suspension, so he will be able to participate in games until the issue is resolved. The 26-year-old right-hander has a 3.60 ERA and an 11/6 K/BB ratio in 10 innings so far this season.

The suspension is rather light considering Barnes’ intent. Barnes missed, thankfully, as he hit Machado’s bat rather than his helmet. Had he hit his intended target, though, baseball might’ve been out one superstar third baseman. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports wrote today that Major League Baseball needs to beef up its punishment for players attempting to injure other players. And he’s totally right about that. The punishment is neither enough to deter players from attempting to injure their peers, nor is it enough for teams to deter their own players from doing so.