David Hernandez

David Hernandez moves from Mexico to Team USA for WBC

Leave a comment

Diamondbacks setup man David Hernandez was expected to pitch for Team Mexico in the World Baseball Classic, but for reason that aren’t yet clear, he was ruled ineligible. Fortunately for him, a relief spot just happened to open up on Team USA with Chris Perez getting hurt Friday, and Hernandez was named his replacement on Saturday.

Hernandez, 27, had a 2.50 ERA and 98 strikeouts in 68 1/3 innings out of the pen for the Diamondbacks last season. The right-hander is a third generation Mexican-American who grew up in Sacramento. He told the Arizona Republic earlier this month that he was looking forward to pitching for Mexico.

“It’s almost like a family reunion,” he said. “That means a lot to me, seeing my family get together for one cause.”

Update: MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert reports that Hernandez was declared ineligible to pitch for Mexico because it was his great-grandparents who were both in Mexico, not his grandparents.

Diamondbacks sign Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million deal

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - JUNE 14:  Jeff Mathis #6 of the Miami Marlins hits a grand slam during the first inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at PETCO Park on June 14, 2016 in San Diego, California.   (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.

Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.

The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.

Jimmy Rollins wants to play in 2017

ARLINGTON, TX - MAY 10:  Jimmy Rollins #7 of the Chicago White Sox at Globe Life Park in Arlington on May 10, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
1 Comment

ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that free agent shortstop Jimmy Rollins wants to continue playing in 2017.

Rollins, 38, signed a minor league deal with the White Sox for the 2016 season but hit a disappointing .221/.295/.329 over 166 plate appearances. The club released Rollins in the middle of June and he did not sign with a new team. He did join TBS as part of their playoff coverage.

Rollins is almost certainly looking at another minor league contract and will have to earn his way onto a major league roster by performing well in spring training.