San Diego Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko, a second-round pick in the 2010 draft, made noise last season when he hit 30 home runs and drove in 100 runs between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. MLB.com listed him as the #50 prospect overall going into the 2013 season and he just may make the Padres’ Opening Day roster if he continues hitting the way he has so far. In 18 spring at-bats, he has hit three homers and a double while driving in nine runs. The big question concerns his ability to play second base, as he was brought up as a third baseman but is, at least for now, blocked at that position by Chase Headley.
Gyorko says he feels comfortable at his new position.
”I’m having fun at second and the key is just getting better each day,” Gyorko said. ”It helps that we have an extended spring this year and I get to play a ton of games to get work in.”
25-year-old Logan Forsythe is competing with Gyorko for the job at second. In 350 trips to the plate last year, he hit .273 with six home runs and he stole eight bases as well. In a very limited showing in spring so far, though, he is hitting .231 with no extra-base hits in 13 at-bats.
Gyorko is winning, at least in the early going.
This is happening, people.
Earlier we heard Joe Maddon being non-committal about Kyle Schwarber joining the Cubs for the World Series. Now it seems pretty clear that the Cubs are committal indeed: Jon Morosi reports that Schwarber is en route to Cleveland from Arizona on a private jet and that he’s expected to DH in Game 1 tomorrow night.
Schwarber hasn’t played in a game that counted since April 7. His potent bat is could be a windfall for a Cubs team that didn’t have a game-changing option at DH in the American League park.
Schwarber lost the whole season due to a knee injury, but he hit .246/.355/.487 with 16 homers and 43 RBI in 69 games as a rookie in 2015. His big coming out party was in the playoffs, however, when he hit three homers in five postseason games while going 7-for-13 with two walks in five games.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Indians First Baseman/DH Carlos Santana shagged some flyballs in left field during the Indians’ workout today.
Sure, why not? Santana has played one game in the outfield in his major league career and that was over four years ago, but the Indians will have to play in Chicago without the DH, meaning either losing Santana’s bat or that of Mike Napoli.
It would be up to Terry Francona to decide if that happens, but ultimately I don’t think he’ll make it real and, rather, will just forget about it, because Santana’s defense out there would in no way be smooth.
I’m sorry. I’m sick today and I’m on a lot of cold medicine.