Will Middlebrooks aggravates right wrist in spring game

10 Comments

Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks was removed from Wednesday night’s Grapefruit League game against the Orioles because of what is currently being termed “right wrist soreness.”

Middlebrooks appeared to injure the wrist while taking a swing at a high-and-tight fastball in the first inning. He met with trainers near the Red Sox dugout and then spiked his batting helmet in apparent frustration before disappearing into the clubhouse.

Middlebrooks missed the final two months of the 2012 season with a right wrist fracture. And it’s pretty clear that whatever happened tonight at the Orioles’ complex in Sarasota, Florida is related.

The Red Sox will reevaluate him Thursday morning.

Middlebrooks, 24, batted .288/.325/.509 with 15 home runs and 54 RBI over his first 75 major league games last year. Boston’s options to replace him at the hot corner are … umm … Pedro Ciriaco and Brock Holt.

**********************

UPDATE, 9:44 PM: According to Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, Middlebrooks said after the game that he is not in pain and that no X-rays are scheduled because he has strength in his right hand. “It’s not as serious as we thought it was,” the young third baseman told reporters. “It was just a scare.”

UPDATE, 10:13 PM: Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe says Middlebrooks is aiming to take batting practice on Thursday and that the tweak he felt might have been scar tissue getting jarred.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”