Arizona catcher Miguel Montero was held out of Monday’s Cactus League game against the Royals because of a swollen right thumb that team trainers assumed was the result of a deeply embedded splinter. But there is no splinter, folks. There never was a splinter. MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert explains:
Exactly what is wrong with the D-backs catcher’s thumb is not clear. Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said there was a splinter in there, but Montero said that when the training staff drained the puss out of it Monday, they could not find anything in there.
Gibson told reporters on Tuesday afternoon in camp that the thumb is “calming down” and that Montero may be able to play a couple of innings in Wednesday’s Cactus League game versus the Reds. “It’s much better,” said the Diamondbacks skipper. “It looked like it might be getting infected yesterday, so we’ve been treating that for that. … Hopefully he can play [Wednesday].”
“It came out of nowhere,” Montero added. “I don’t know what happened.”
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.