San Jose postcard

Major League Baseball gives the A’s “tentative guidelines” for a move to San Jose


First off: this does not mean anything is happening. Indeed, the only comment Major League Baseball would give regarding the story was that Bud Selig’s four year-old committee “continues to work hard on this very complex, complicated situation.”  But this is at least something. Bill Shaikin reports:

The commissioner’s office has provided the Oakland Athletics with tentative guidelines for a potential move to San Jose … The existence of the guidelines does not necessarily mean the A’s will move to San Jose soon, or at all. However, if the A’s can satisfy the concerns of the league office, Commissioner Bud Selig could let club owners decide whether to approve the move.

What those conditions are are anyone’s guess. It could be the invention of a working perpetual motion machine and the A’s would still stand a better chance of moving than if we waited for the committee to actually do something.

But whatever the case, a vote, at this point, would be nice.

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.