We’ve had a number of instances of players saying bad things about old managers or teammates lately. The last one was the Blue Jays’ Adam Lind, who over the weekend blamed ex-Jays manager John Farrell for sending him mixed signals about hitting last year:
“You guys (the media) were around last year,” Lind said Saturday at spring training. “The manager telling you one thing was a problem, it was tough. He was from Boston where they were selective (on hitting pitches) but coming up through this organization we were taught to be aggressive, so sometimes you get confused who you want to please.”
I’m sure this had nothing to do whatsoever with Farrell calling out Lind for being out of shape last year and sending him to Las Vegas for a while. Nope.
Anyway, Jays’ GM Alex Anthopoulos heard these comments and said that, if there was a problem, it was Lind’s fault:
“He has been in the league long enough now and it’s up to him to say I’m a little confused, I need a little help and what not … I always try to stress, if you’re confused, if you’re not sure, it’s on you to say something. We can’t do anything to help you if you don’t express how you’re feeling.”
Always a good rule to not air your grievances publicly.
The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.
Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.
Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.