Joe Torre: no expanded replay for 2013

11 Comments

Back in October Bud Selig said this about expanded instant replay for 2013:

“I think we’ll have it for sure. They’re working on cameras in all the ballparks. We need the right cameras. Should we have them by next year? We’d better.”

Apparently installing cameras is hard, because, Joe Torre said today that Major League Baseball will not expand its instant replay system this year:

“Next year, there will be something, for sure,” Torre said. “It’s not like we’re afraid to do something. I don’t want to do something unless we feel like it’s the right thing to do … “We’re not going to get caught in the trap of doing something if we don’t feel what we’re doing is enough.”

They always say things like this. About it being done the right way, counseling caution and all of that.  What they’ve never done is explain what variables are so complex that this sort of thing can’t be hammered out in the space of a few days, installed in a few weeks and shaken down over the course of spring training or simulated games or something.  If they started that process back when they started talking about wanting to expand replay — at least two or three years ago — we’d have a system now.

 

Dodgers designate Sergio Romo for assignment

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.

Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.

Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.

Nate Karns underwent season-ending surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome

Brian Blanco/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.

The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.

Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.