Homer Bailey Getty

The Reds and Homer Bailey avoid arbitration

2 Comments

According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds and Homer Bailey have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract. CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman hears that the deal is worth $5.35 million.

Bailey requested $5.8 million and was offered $4.75 million by the Reds when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, but the two sides were able to get something done in order to avoid a possible hearing on Monday. The 26-year-old right-hander remains under team control through 2014 and Reds general manager Walt Jocketty plans to revisit the idea of a multi-year extension at some point.

Bailey struggled in his initial chances in the major leagues, but the 2004 first-round pick has made some real strides over the past two seasons, including a 3.68 ERA and 168/52 K/BB ratio over a career-high 208 innings last year. He had a 3.21 ERA after the All-Star break, highlighted by a no-hitter against the Pirates on September 28.

Video: Undercover David Ortiz drives a Lyft in Boston

screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-10-53-01-am
1 Comment

David Ortiz did one of those “Undercover Lyft” spots for, well, Lyft, in which famous people disguise themselves while driving passengers around. Yes, they’re ads, but they’re still pretty funny. At least this one was.

Best parts: (1) the woman who says she has two David Ortiz shirts to which Undercover Ortiz responds, “actually, all my shirts are his shirts”; and (2) when Ortiz agrees with someone that baseball games are “so loooong.” Oh, and at one point he tells a woman who said she was going to the Red Sox game that night that he was too. After he unmasked himself, she explains his own joke to him. Which, ooohhkay.

In other news, people who take Lyfts in Boston either don’t watch much baseball, because Ortiz’s costume is NOT very concealing, or else they simply don’t look at their Lyft driver while in the car, at all.

Scouting in Venezuela: “Someone is going to get killed. It’s just a matter of time”

MIAMI - MARCH 14:  Venezuela fans cheer with a country flag while taking on the Netherlands during round 2 of the World Baseball Classic at Dolphin Stadium on March 14, 2009 in Miami, Florida.  (Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Ben Badler of Baseball America has a story about how major league scouts who cover Venezuela are unhappy with the rules imposed upon them by the league. Rules, they say, which unreasonably prohibit them from scouting Venezuelan players in centralized, team-controlled locations or, alternatively, flying them to team facilities in the Dominican Republic or elsewhere.

The result: international scouts are forced to travel all over Venezuela to evaluate prospect. And, given how destabilized and dangerous Venezuela has become, they believe their safety is at risk:

“MLB’s rules that limit our ability to travel a Venezuelan guy to the Dominican Republic, that limit our ability to get them in a complex at different ages, all these rules are solely contributing to the risks that all of us are taking traveling from complex to complex, facility to facility in the streets,” said one international director. “Someone is going to get killed. It’s just a matter of time, and it’s on MLB when it happens, because they’re the ones who created these rules.”

As Badler notes, Major League Baseball itself has moved its annual national showcase out of the country due to safety concerns. It will not, however, relax scouting rules — which seem arbitrary on their surface in the first place — in order to make the job of international scouts safer.

It seems that Rob Manfred and the league owe their employees better than this. Or at the very least owe them an explanation why they don’t think they do.