The Reds are stretching out left-hander Aroldis Chapman this spring in preparation for moving him to the starting rotation. However, while the club plans to handle his workload responsibly, they aren’t willing to say much more.
According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Reds pitching coach Bryan Price said today that the team doesn’t plan to disclose their plan for how many innings Chapman will throw as a starter.
“There is a pretty good understanding of what will be necessary to keep his innings at an area that we’re comfortable with, should he be a starter throughout the course of the season,” Prices said on Saturday. “That being said, I think if I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned it’s better to keep that stuff to ourselves. You just set the table for a little too much speculation and Q&A that I would not be comfortable going through.”
This is a different situation than what we saw with Stephen Strasburg last season, as Chapman is making the transition from the bullpen as opposed to pitching his first full season back from Tommy John surgery, but it’s easy to see how a firm number could become a distraction for a team which is expected to contend. No need to go there, especially since a lot of things can happen in spring training. Remember, Chapman was originally expected to begin last season in the starting rotation before Ryan Madson hurt his elbow and required Tommy John surgery.
Chapman posted a dominant 1.51 ERA, 38 saves and a 122/23 K/BB ratio over 71 2/3 innings last season. Jonathan Broxton is expected to take his place in the closer role this season.
The Braves reportedly have a deal in place with free agent catcher Kurt Suzuki, per Chris Cotillo of SB Nation. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal adds that the contract is for one year, $1.5 million with up to $2.5 million in additional incentives.
Suzuki, 33, completed a three-year track with the Twins in 2016, slashing .258/.301/.403 with eight home runs in 373 PA. The veteran backstop likely won’t provide an offensive or defensive upgrade over current starter Tyler Flowers, but should give the Braves some depth at a position they’ve been looking to strengthen since the start of the offseason.
The team has yet to confirm the deal.
With the 2017 World Baseball Classic around the corner, Team Israel has reportedly reached out to Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis, per MLB Network’s Jon Morosi. Tournament rules stipulate that a player’s roster eligibility can be achieved in one of several ways: they were born in the country in question or hold citizenship/permanent legal residence there (or are simply capable of qualifying for citizenship), or one of their parents was born in the country or holds citizenship/permanent legal residence there.
For Kipnis, it’s the latter. Kipnis’ father, Mark Kipnis, is Jewish. That gives Kipnis the status he needs to suit up for Team Israel, despite the fact that he is a practicing Roman Catholic. He has yet to confirm or deny his participation in the competition.
Fifteen players have confirmed for Team Israel so far, including Mets’ infielder/outfielder Ty Kelly and free agents Sam Fuld, Nate Freiman, Jason Marquis and Jeremy Bleich. Per MLB.com’s Chad Thornburg, eight minor leaguers will also appear for the team. Like Kipnis, at least three other major leaguers are eligible for Team Israel’s roster but have yet to accept or decline involvement in the WBC: Dodgers center fielder Joc Pederson, Mariners infielder/outfielder Danny Valencia and free agent left-hander Craig Breslow.