UPDATE: Um, sorry. Didn’t realize that D.J. wrote about this yesterday. In my defense, I was trying to do an Internet detox yesterday and didn’t see it. NOT in my defense: I failed to go back and look to see if anyone covered it yesterday, so yes, I’m lazy and redundant.
11:06 AM: The Red Sox’ first round draft pick from 2010 had an accident:
Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington says outfield prospect Bryce Brentz accidentally shot himself in the leg last month, but could recover in time to play in spring training. Cherington said Saturday that Brentz was cleaning the gun went it went off. The bullet passed through Brentz’s left leg.
I have a friend who is a cop and he once told me that basically every accidental shooting he and his colleagues have ever seen were said by the victims to have occurred while “cleaning the gun.” He can’t recall anyone ever saying that they were goofing off or being careless when accidentally shooting themselves. It’s always when they’re cleaning them. Damndest thing.
Anyway, Brentz was pretty lucky to have a clean injury like this rather than to have broken a bone or tore some muscle that would make his recovery a much longer proposition.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.