Paul Goldschmidt isn’t ready to talk about a long-term deal

11 Comments

Paul Goldschmidt was impressive during his first full season in the big leagues last year, hitting .286/.359/.490 with 20 home runs, 82 RBI, 18 stolen bases and an .850 OPS. He isn’t arbitration-eligible until after the 2014 season and is under team control though 2017, but the Diamondbacks are interested in locking him up for the long haul.

According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said today that the club approached Goldschmidt about a long-term deal. However, the 25-year-old first baseman said he wanted to wait before thinking about it.

Making a deal now could set Goldschmidt up for life financially, but if he waits and can duplicate or even improve upon his numbers from 2012, his eventual payday could get even bigger. So he’s going to take his chances for now.

Dave Dombrowski gives John Farrell a vote of confidence

Rich Gagnon/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Earlier, we learned via Tuesday’s report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that Red Sox manager John Farrell could find himself on the hot seat given the team’s slow start and a couple of incidents with Dustin Pedroia and Drew Pomeranz.

Tim Britton of the Providence Journal spoke to Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, who gave Farrell a vote of confidence. Dombrowski said, “We all have our pluses and minuses. But when I see some of the things we’ve talked about, I don’t know how you say that’s John Farrell’s fault. It’s not his fault that we’ve scuffled to pitch in the fifth spot with [Kyle] Kendrick and [Hector] Velazquez. The injury factors. Really in many ways, I tip my hat to our guys, led by John, that we’re in the position that we’re in right now. We’re three and a half out on May 24. There’s a long time to go. We haven’t gotten buried.”

Dombrowski added, “He’s our manager. He’s done fine. If I didn’t think that, then he wouldn’t be in his role.”

Farrell is signed through 2018 as the Red Sox exercised his ’18 option in December. That doesn’t mean the Red Sox can’t let him go, but given the lack of realistic options to step in and fill Farrell’s shoes and Dombrowski’s vote of confidence, it looks like the skipper has job security for now.

Jacoby Ellsbury diagnosed with concussion, neck sprain after leaving game

Getty Images
2 Comments

The Yankees announced that Jacoby Ellsbury left the game with a concussion and a neck sprain after making a great catch, crashing into the center field wall at Yankee Stadium to snag an Alcides Escobar fly ball for the first out of the first inning Wednesday night against the Royals.

Ellsbury was shaken up after the play, requiring the attention of manager Joe Girardi and trainer Steve Donohue.

Ellsbury initially stayed in the game and finished the top of the first inning. However, Aaron Hicks replaced Ellsbury in center field to start the top of the second inning. Ellsbury was batting sixth and did not have an at-bat prior to exiting.