There were murmurings yesterday that maybe Brian Wilson could still make a return to the San Francisco Giants. The murmurings came after Brian Sabean said that the team had not closed the door on Wilson and suggested that the parameters of the discussions with Wilson’s camp was guaranteed money, which Sabean said Wilson wants, and an incentive-laden deal preferred by the Giants.
Only one problem with that. Via Andrew Baggarly at CSNBayArea.com:
“(Wilson) has instructed us not to talk terms or money until he’s 100 percent,” [Wilson’s agent Dan] Lozano said. “We haven’t talked terms or money with the Giants or any other team. So I’m a little baffled by Brian Sabean’s comment that we’re out there looking for more money.”
Informed of Lozano’s reaction, Sabean said he stood by his comment.
But that standing-by-his-comment thing is a little cute: Sabean says that he “deduced” that Wilson wants more money because he has yet to accept an incentive-based offer from the Giants. Not that Wilson has actually demanded it.
Gotta side with Wilson’s agent here. I think whether a player is demanding something, which Sabean clearly made it out to be, as opposed to him simply not accepting a current offer, are different things. And one way of giving yourself cover for not signing a fan favorite is to say “well, he was too greedy, not our fault.”
Per ESPN’s Jesse Rogers, Jake Arrieta‘s agent Scott Boras says they’ll discuss a potential contract extension with the Cubs when they meet in January to hammer out arbitration figures.
Arrieta, 30, is entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility after earning $10.7 million in 2016. The right-hander followed up his Cy Young Award-winning 2015 campaign by going 18-8 with a 3.10 ERA and a 190/76 K/BB ratio in 197 1/3 innings during the regular season. Arrieta pitched well in the postseason, helping the Cubs win their first World Series since 1908.
While Boras clients tend to go to free agency, it’s not always the case. Stephen Strasburg inked a seven-year, $175 million extension with the Nationals earlier this year.
Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald reports, citing a source as well as Nikkan Sports, that reliever Koji Uehara is close to signing a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the Cubs.
Uehara, 41, finished the 2016 season with a 3.45 ERA and a 63/11 K/BB ratio over 47 innings. He missed some time in the second half with a strained right pectoral muscle. When Uehara returned from the disabled list on September 7, he tossed 11 scoreless innings with 12 strikeouts and two walks through the end of the regular season. So there’s at least some evidence, albeit in a very small sample size, that Uehara has stuff left in the tank.
The Cubs recently acquired closer Wade Davis from the Royals. Uehara would join Hector Rondon, Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards, Jr., Justin Grimm, and Mike Montgomery in what is once again a very deep bullpen.