Aaron Hill, Diamondbacks agree to $35 million extension

12 Comments

Three weeks after Aaron Hill and the Diamondbacks were said to be having preliminary extension talks the two sides have agreed to a deal, with Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reporting that Hill will get $35 million for three seasons.

Hill signed a two-year, $11 million deal last offseason and would have become a free agent after this season, so it’s easy to see how much his leverage increased following a year in which the second baseman hit .302 with 26 homers, 44 doubles, and an .882 OPS in 156 games while playing his usual stellar defense.

Hill was terrible in his final season-and-a-half in Toronto, allowing Arizona to acquire him at a discount in mid-2011, but he’s been fantastic for the Diamondbacks with a .304 batting average and .881 OPS in 189 total games.

Arizona was able to keep the commitment relatively short–Hill will be 34 years old when the deal ends–and $11.667 million per season is similar to the average annual value in recent deals for fellow second basemen Brandon Phillips and Dan Uggla.

Mets to move Matt Harvey to the bullpen

Matt Harvey
AP Images
Leave a comment

Mets right-hander Matt Harvey is heading to the bullpen, according to comments made by club manager Mickey Callaway on Saturday. As predicted, Harvey doesn’t appear to be taking the news particularly well, going so far as to tell Callaway that the decision has him “at a 10 with being pissed off” and that he’s motivated to prove himself as a starter.

It’s been rough going for Harvey this spring. After missing significant time to a shoulder injury last season, the 29-year-old righty returned to the mound with a lot left to prove. He pitched to an 0-2 record in four starts, issuing 14 runs, four home runs and 17 strikeouts in 21 innings. It’s been a while since the Mets have seen anything better out of their starter — he hasn’t turned in a sub-4.00 ERA since 2015 and hasn’t pitched well enough to earn an All-Star berth since 2013 — and now it appears they’re at the end of their rope.

At this point, the Mets insist that the shift is a temporary one. While Callaway has helped successfully convert several starters to the bullpen, including Trevor Bauer and Carlos Carrasco, that’s not the plan for this veteran right-hander. Instead, both the team and Harvey seem to view the change as a way to clear up any mental blocks Harvey may be encountering on the mound. “We know he’s healthy,” assistant GM John Ricco told reporters. “He’s feeling good. Then you get to, is this a little bit of a mental thing, a confidence thing? One of the things we talk about is getting him into the ‘pen, where he can have success in short spurts, get that confidence back and really let it go and get back to being a guy who can dominate the way he’s shown in the past.”

Harvey will be eligible to pitch out of the bullpen on Tuesday, when the Mets are scheduled to kick off their next road series against the Cardinals. As for his replacement, left-hander Jason Vargas will resume his role in the rotation when he comes off the disabled list next Saturday.