Scott Boras denies planting the Jose Valverde-to-Miami rumor

11 Comments

The other day there was a report that Jose Valverde and the Miami Marlins were close to a deal. It was immediately — and vehemently — shot down by the Marlins, who took the unusual step of actually saying it was Scott Boras spreading baloney in an effort to create a market for his client.

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald spoke to Boras who says he didn’t do it. He said that when Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes called him, he denied anything imminent between Valverde and the Marlins and said Rojas ran with the story too quickly. Boras went on to add that there is no incentive for him to create a rumor about one of his players linked to a specific team because such a thing would be too easily refuted.

Good point. Boras is the guy who created the “mystery team” concept. It suits his purposes far more for there to be non-named teams falling all over themselves to sign his guys. If he puts a name to it that uncertainty is lost.

Or that’s what he wants us to think …

God, the offseason is so confusing.

 

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
7 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.