Bill Madden speaks:
This is apparently A-Rod’s new strategy: Deflect all these allegations away from him. Didn’t his crisis management people come out the other day saying all those documents obtained out of Bosch’s clinic by the Miami New Times were bogus? His crisis managers, but not A-Rod himself.
He is innocent, A-Rod says. But instead of personally telling us that, Rodriguez proclaims it through anonymous spokespeople and lawyers and expects us to believe him.
For what it’s worth, A-Rod issued an official statement denying the allegations in the Miami New Times report. Maybe it’s a total lie, but don’t accuse him of “a conspiracy of silence” as Madden does here when he has, in fact, issued as thorough a statement as any other public figure caught up in a scandal has issued.
That aside, this insistence on direct, personal on-the-record statements is pretty rich from a guy who based his “The Yankees are going to dump A-Rod” story last week on anonymous team sources. Tell us Bill: instead of publicly saying that, the Yankees proclaim they are done with Rodriguez through anonymous spokespeople and expects us to believe them?
This also from a guy who has shown that he’s totally cool with letting speculation and whisper campaigns dictate who makes his Hall of Fame ballot.
If you’re Bill Madden I guess official, in person, on-the-record sources are only important when the story doesn’t serve your interests. If it does, hell, let ‘er rip.
Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.
Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.
Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Robert Gsellman has won the No. 4 spot in the Mets’ starting rotation. He adds that the Mets are likely to play things cautiously with lefty Steven Matz. The fifth and final rotation spot will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo.
Gsellman, 23, has had a great spring. The right-hander has allowed three earned runs on 15 hits and four walks with nine strikeouts in 17 1/3 innings. That is on the heels of seven solid starts at the end of the 2016 season during which he yielded 12 earned runs on 40 hits and 12 walks with 40 strikeouts in 41 innings.
Matz, 25, is dealing with irritation in his left elbow. He had surgery in October to remove a bone spur and was a Tommy John patient several years ago. It sounds like the Mets are leaning towards having him start the season on the disabled list.
Wheeler, 26, isn’t having a great spring. He’s surrendered seven runs in 7 1/3 innings. Lugo has given up three earned runs in seven spring innings and also looked solid in the World Baseball Classic although he took the loss in the final against the United States.