Quote of the Day: The Daily News slams A-Rod for using official spokespeople

13 Comments

Bill Madden speaks:

This is apparently A-Rod’s new strategy: Deflect all these allegations away from him. Didn’t his crisis management people come out the other day saying all those documents obtained out of Bosch’s clinic by the Miami New Times were bogus? His crisis managers, but not A-Rod himself.

He is innocent, A-Rod says. But instead of personally telling us that, Rodriguez proclaims it through anonymous spokespeople and lawyers and expects us to believe him.

For what it’s worth, A-Rod issued an official statement denying the allegations in the Miami New Times report. Maybe it’s a total lie, but don’t accuse him of “a conspiracy of silence” as Madden does here when he has, in fact, issued as thorough a statement as any other public figure caught up in a scandal has issued.

That aside, this insistence on direct, personal on-the-record statements is pretty rich from a guy who based his “The Yankees are going to dump A-Rod” story last week on anonymous team sources.  Tell us Bill: instead of publicly saying that, the Yankees proclaim they are done with Rodriguez through anonymous spokespeople and expects us to believe them?

This also from a guy who has shown that he’s totally cool with letting speculation and whisper campaigns dictate who makes his Hall of Fame ballot.

If you’re Bill Madden I guess official, in person, on-the-record sources are only important when the story doesn’t serve your interests. If it does, hell, let ‘er rip.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.