Back in October there was some speculation that Steve Stone would leave the White Sox’s broadcast booth for a job with the Diamondbacks, but Stone eventually decided to stay in Chicago and continue to work with Hawk Harrelson even though the duo apparently hasn’t gotten along for a while now.
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Harrelson and Stone had a “communication breakdown” for the past two seasons and White Sox executives met with them last week to discuss the situation.
Harrelson told Levine his side of things:
There was a problem last year. The first two years we worked together were terrific. … In 2011 something was wrong. In 2012 something was wrong. We talked about it through the course of the year and finally had the big meeting at Sox Fest. Jerry [Reinsdorf] was there and so was Bob Grimm and Brooks Boyer. We got it all out on the table and worked it all out. When we walked out of the meeting I felt great and so did Steve.
As a Minnesotan and Twins fan I’m supposed to despise Harrelson and the White Sox, but I actually like listening to Harrelson and Stone call games. With that said, they both certainly have … well, let’s call them “strong” personalities, and it’s not shocking that they’d eventually clash with each other considering how often they’ve clashed with various people–co-workers included–over the years.
With just over a month to go before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, trade rumors are beginning to crop up. According to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports, the Red Sox and Yankees have each reached out to the Marlins about infielder Martin Prado.
The Marlins enter play Wednesday 35-40 and in third place in the NL East. They are expected to continue to sell after trading shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria to the Rays. However, as the club itself is in the middle of rumors with a handful of prospective new owners, major pieces like Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich probably won’t be moved until that is settled.
Prado, 33, is hitting .277/.299/.398 with two home runs and nine RBI in 87 plate appearances. He has played in only 21 games due to calf and hamstring injuries. When he’s healthy, though, he is typically productive and he can play all four infield positions as well as the outfield corners. Prado is under contract for the next two seasons as well, at $13.5 million and $15 million.
With either the Red Sox or Yankees, Prado would likely assume third base. The Red Sox have gotten a major league-worst .562 out of its third basemen while the Yankees have gotten a .678 OPS, 24th out of 30 teams.
The Cubs oddly made an extra visit to the White House on Tuesday. After winning the World Series, the team visited then-President Barack Obama — a Chicago sports fan — in January before he left office. But they went back today for an “informal” visit with President Trump.
The Cubs, however, have ties to the Republican party and to Trump. The Ricketts family are Republican donors and Cubs owner Tom’s brother Todd was Trump’s nominee for deputy secretary of commerce. Manager Joe Maddon is also longtime friends with Lou Barletta, the Republican representative from Hazleton, PA.
Some players chose not to join their Cubs teammates for a trip to the White House. 10 players, to be exact, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. None of those players declining to go offered a political reason, understandably so. But reliever Carl Edwards, Jr.’s excuse made a lot of sense. He said, “I’m trying to go see like the dinosaur museums.” Indeed, Edwards could have spent the afternoon at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.
Other players declining to visit the White House included Jake Arrieta, Hector Rondon, Jason Heyward, Pedro Strop, Justin Grimm, and Addison Russell.