Fernando Rodney confident he’ll get contract extension from Rays

1 Comment

Fernando Rodney was quoted in Dominican newspaper El Dia earlier this week that he was closing in on a two-year extension with the Rays, but that report was quickly disputed by the club while Rodney’s agent, Dan Lozano, later said that his client was misquoted. However, Rodney told MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez yesterday that he’s in talks with the Rays and is confident that he’ll eventually get an extension done.

“It’s in plans already,” Rodney said in Spanish on Friday, a few minutes before taking the field against Venezuela’s Navegantes de Magallanes at Sonora Stadium. “We’ve talked a few times, and I expect it to get finalized this month.”

“We’re still in the planning stages, still negotiating,” Rodney said. “You know, these negotiations take time because you have to weigh all your options.”

Asked if he was confident a deal would get finalized, Rodney said: “Of course.”

Rodney is already under contract for 2013, as the Rays exercised his $2.5 million option earlier this offseason. The 35-year-old right-hander is currently set to become a free agent this winter.

Rodney is obviously trying to strike while the iron is hot, as he is coming off an unexpectedly brilliant season in which he posted a 0.60 ERA, 48 saves and 76/15 K/BB ratio over 74 2/3 innings. His ERA was the lowest-ever for a pitcher with at least 50 innings pitched in a season. The previous record was held by Dennis Eckersley, who had an 0.61 ERA with the A’s in 1990.

Miguel Sano suspended one game for altercation with Tigers

Andy King/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Twins third baseman Miguel Sano has been suspended one game for his role in Saturday’s altercation with the Tigers, Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports. Sano will appeal his suspension, so he’ll be eligible to play until that is resolved.

On Saturday, Tigers outfielder JaCoby Jones was hit in the face by Twins pitcher Justin Haley. The Tigers’ Matt Boyd threw behind Sano when he came to the plate in the fifth inning, seemingly exacting revenge. Sano took exception, catcher James McCann pushed his glove into Sano’s face, and the benches emptied. Both Boyd and Sano were ejected from the game.

Sano has hit well in the early going, batting .241/.413/.569 with four home runs and 14 RBI with an MLB-best 17 walks in 75 plate appearances. Losing Sano for only one game won’t be the biggest deal for the Twins. Eduardo Escobar would get the start at third base to fill in for Sano if he loses his appeal.

Boyd was fined an undisclosed amount and not suspended, per MLB.com’s Jason Beck.

Matt Barnes suspended four games for throwing at Manny Machado

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
3 Comments

ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes has been suspended four games and fined an undisclosed amount for throwing at Orioles third baseman Manny Machado on Sunday. Barnes was exacting revenge for Machado’s slide which injured second baseman Dustin Pedroia on Friday, and was ejected immediately after throwing the pitch at Machado.

Barnes is appealing his suspension, so he will be able to participate in games until the issue is resolved. The 26-year-old right-hander has a 3.60 ERA and an 11/6 K/BB ratio in 10 innings so far this season.

The suspension is rather light considering Barnes’ intent. Barnes missed, thankfully, as he hit Machado’s bat rather than his helmet. Had he hit his intended target, though, baseball might’ve been out one superstar third baseman. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports wrote today that Major League Baseball needs to beef up its punishment for players attempting to injure other players. And he’s totally right about that. The punishment is neither enough to deter players from attempting to injure their peers, nor is it enough for teams to deter their own players from doing so.