It’s been two weeks since Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said he thought Joe Saunders was close to signing and yet the left-hander remains a free agent.
Minnesota has been linked to Saunders a lot recently and Twins president Dave St. Peter told me himself that they have plenty of payroll room available for a late signing, but Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com has an update on the Twins’ pursuit:
The Twins continue to await word from pitcher Joe Saunders’ agent, Greg Genske. The belief internally continues to be that Saunders prefers to be somewhere else. But it’s possible he’ll soon run out of options. The Twins want Saunders on a one-year deal, but could be willing to go to two years.
That jibes with what Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun speculated earlier this week, which is that if Saunders can only get a one-year deal he’ll probably just decide to re-sign with the Orioles.
Rangers reliever Jake Diekman will have surgery on January 25 to help alleviate ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease. As a result, the lefty will miss at least half of the 2017 regular season, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. Diekman was diagnosed with the illness when he was 11 years old. He has brought awareness to the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America with a “Gut It Out” campaign.
Diekman, who turns 30 years old on Saturday, finished the 2016 campaign with a 3.40 ERA and a 59/26 K/BB ratio in 53 innings. He came to the Rangers from the Phillies in the Cole Hamels trade on July 31, 2015.
The Rangers and Diekman avoided arbitration last Friday, agreeing to a $2.55 million salary for the 2017 season.
It’s been on the verge of happening for a few days now, but now it’s official: the Toronto Blue Jays and Jose Bautista have reached a one-year deal with a mutual option. The deal is pending physical. An announcement making the deal official is expected later in week.
The exact financial figures have not been disclosed, but Jon Heyman reports that it will be in excess of the $17.2 million Bautista turned down when he turned down the Jays’ qualifying offer.
Bautista had a tough 2016, hitting .234/.366/.452 with 22 home runs and 69 RBI, and some clubs likely considered a long-term deal for the 36-year-old too risky, this leading to the relative lack of reported interest in Bautista by other clubs. But back-to-back ALCS appearances by the Jays and the success and popularity Bautista has experienced in Toronto make his re-signing there a pretty sensible move for all involved.