Martin Prado Getty

The Arizona Diamondbacks and Martin Prado agree to a four-year, $40 million deal


The Arizona Diamondbacks have just announced a four-year, $40 million extension with third baseman Martin Prado.  The deal goes through 2016, buying out his arbitration year this year and tacking three more on top. He made $4.75 million last season. His arbitration demand for this year was $7.05 million with the club countering at around $6 million. So one way to think of this is as a three-year, $33-34 million deal.

Which is not terrible. He’ll certainly be worth it for a couple of years. The deal takes him through his age-32 season, so there is some risk of decline, obviously. And given how gritty a grinder he is, you have to worry about injury.

Prado has hit .295/.345/.435 over the course of seven big league seasons, the last four of which came as a full-timer.  He can play multiple positions, most recently serving as the Braves’ left fielder, but he will play third for Arizona.

Prado, along with Randall Delgado and other prospects, came to the Dbacks in the Justin Upton trade.  It was said at the time of the trade that they wanted to extend him and now they have.

Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski says trading Allen Craig would be “ideal”

Allen Craig
AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez
Leave a comment

Allen Craig has been dreadful since the Red Sox acquired him from the Cardinals in the mid-2014 John Lackey trade, slashing .128/.234/.191 in 107 plate appearances last year and .152/.239/.203 in 88 plate appearances at the major league level this year.

Craig hasn’t been the same player since suffering a Lisfranc injury in 2013, and the 31-year-old first baseman and corner outfielder is still owed $20 million from a five-year, $31 million extension he signed with the Cardinals. So, yeah, the Red Sox would love to find a taker this winter, as new club president Dave Dombrowski told Tim Britton of the Providence Journal on Tuesday …

You don’t often hear an executive express that kind of thing publicly. It was former Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington who brought Craig to Boston.


Video: Javier Baez hits go-ahead three-run bomb in NLDS Game 4

Javier Baez
AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast
Leave a comment

Cardinals starter John Lackey had a clean first inning in Game 4 of the NLDS on Tuesday afternoon at Wrigley Field, but Anthony Rizzo opened the bottom of the second a shift-beating single to the left side of the infield and then Starlin Castro reached on a fielder’s choice grounder to short. Kyle Schwarber came through with a single and Jason Hammel followed a Miguel Montero strikeout with a two-out, run-scoring liner up the middle.

Enter young shortstop prospect Javier Baez, who’s filling in for the injured Addison Russell in Game 4 as the Cubs try to advance to the NLCS …

Opposite field. Wind-aided, sure, but it probably didn’t need the wind anyway. What a shot.

Chicago leads the visiting Cardinals 4-2 as the sixth inning gets underway at Wrigley.

Juan Uribe not close to being available for the Mets

Juan Uribe
Leave a comment

Mets infielder Juan Uribe has been sidelined since late September with a chest injury and it sounds like he won’t be available for the NLCS if New York advances.

Mets manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that Uribe has yet to resume baseball activities and continues to experience discomfort.

Uribe was a useful late-July pickup for the Mets and hit .253 with 14 homers and a .737 OPS in 119 total games for three different teams this season, but his postseason role would be pretty limited even if he were healthy.