Shortly after the season ended there was some speculation that the Giants would non-tender Hunter Pence rather than pay him a big salary via arbitration following a down year.
General manager Brian Sabean quickly shot that notion down, making it clear he wanted Pence back in 2013, and now we see the price tag: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Pence and the Giants have avoided arbitration with a one-year, $13.8 million deal.
That means the Giants feared he’d get more than that via an actual arbitration hearing and as crazy as that sounds it was very possible considering Pence was paid $10.4 million last season and … well, that’s just how arbitration works.
Of course, there was nothing forcing the Giants to keep Pence after he hit just .253 with a .319 on-base percentage and .425 slugging percentage in 160 games last year and it’s hard to imagine him getting $13.8 million per season on the open market. San Francisco’s commitment is only one season, which is a key factor, but even if he bounces back to pre-2012 production (.293 AVG, .825 OPS from 2009-2011) it’s still debatable if Pence is worth that money. He’ll be a free agent next offseason.
ESPN’s Pedro Gomez provides a previously unreported detail of the new collective bargaining agreement, agreed to by the owners and the players’ union last week. Players’ meal money for road games is being reduced from $105 to $30 per day. Teams are providing pre- and post-game meals in the visitors’ clubhouse to offset some of the decrease in meal money.
Gomez quotes an unnamed player who said, “I doubt many guys know about the money going down, nor would they have agreed to it.” All of the players Gomez contacted said they were unaware of and unhappy about the change.
Clubhouse attendants are certainly unhappy about this change, too. As Gomez notes, the attendants previously provided food for visiting teams which earned them tips from the players.
The more details that emerge about the new collective bargaining agreement, the more it looks like union head Tony Clark got the short end of the stick in negotiations.
In a column published on Sunday, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says the Padres are “aggressively shopping” third baseman Yangervis Solarte. The 29-year-old is entering his first of three years of arbitration eligibility and is projected to earn $2.7 million next season.
This past season, Solarte hit a solid .286/.341/.467 with 15 home runs and 71 RBI in 443 plate appearances. It’s quite impressive factoring in that he plays in the pitcher-friendly Petco Park.
Given that Solarte is team-controlled for three more years and he offers lots of versatility with previous experience playing first and second base as well as corner outfield, the Padres should receive a fair amount of interest.