Braves prepared to go to arbitration hearing with Martin Prado

4 Comments

As Matthew mentioned earlier, Martin Prado requested $7.05 million and was offered $6.65 million from the Braves when arbitration figures were exchanged today. With such a small gap between the two sides, one would think that it wouldn’t take much work to get a deal done, but Braves general manager Frank Wren told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution this afternoon that there will be no more negotiations with Prado because of a club policy.

 “We are a file-to-go club,” he said, meaning to file a salary figure and then go to a hearing. “Once we exchanged numbers at 1 o’clock today, we don’t negotiate any further. That’s an organization policy that we’ve taken on for a number of years. We would prefer these end in a settlement negotiation, but at the same time, if they don’t that’s obviously a right the player has, and we have to take it to a neutral arbitration panel.”

In other words, now that salary figures have been exchanged, the Braves plan to leave it up to an arbitration panel to decide on one salary or the other for 2013. There are a handful of other teams who have a similar policy in place, including the Blue Jays, Rays and Marlins. Such a policy can pressure players into working out a contract rather than deal with the potential awkwardness of a hearing. The Braves haven’t had an arbitration case go to a hearing since 2001 with John Rocker, but it sounds like they are prepared to go there if Prado doesn’t take their offer of $6.65 million.

Prado earned $4.75 million last season while hitting .301/.359/.438 with 10 home runs, 70 RBI and a .796 OPS last season. The 29-year-old can become a free agent following the 2013 season.

Masahiro Tanaka throws a Maddux

Getty Images
4 Comments

You do know what a Maddux is, right? In case you forgot, it’s a complete game shutout in which the starter throws fewer than 100 pitches. Friend of HBT Jason Lukehart invented that little metric and, because Greg Maddux is my favorite player ever, it’s pretty much my favorite stat ever.

In the Yankees-Red Sox game tonight it was Masahiro Tanaka doing the honors, tossing 97-pitch three-hitter in which he only allowed one runner to reach second base to beat Boston 3-0. He only struck out three but he didn’t walk anyone. He retired the last 14 batters he faced.

Chris Sale was no slouch himself, striking out ten in eight innings. He’s pitched great this year but he’s not getting any help. The Sox have only scored four runs in his five starts. Boston has scored only 13 runs in their last seven games. They’ve been shut out three times in the past seven. They scored more runs than anyone last year, by the way.

The game only took two hours and twenty-one minutes. Or, like, half the time of a Yankees-Red Sox game in the early 2000s. Progress, people. We’re making progress.

Shelby Miller has a tear in his UCL, considering Tommy John surgery

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
6 Comments

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Diamondbacks pitcher Shelby Miller has a tear in his ulnar collateral ligament and is considering undergoing Tommy John surgery. Surgery would end Miller’s 2017 season and would cut into a significant portion — if not all — of his 2018 season as well.

Miller sent his MRI results to Dr. Neal ElAttrache and Dr. James Andrews for second and third opinions, respectively. He could choose to rehab his elbow rather than undergo surgery, but that comes with its own set of positives and negatives.

Miller lasted only four-plus innings in his most recent start on Sunday and carries a 4.09 ERA on the season, his second with the Diamondbacks. His time in Arizona has not gone well.