Fun things — and some not so fun things — from today’s voting results beyond the names we talked about already:
- Falling off the ballot because they didn’t receive 5%: Bernie Williams, Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar Jr.,Julio Franco, David Wells, Steve Finley, Shawn Green, Aaron Sele, Jeff Cirillo,Royce Clayton, Jeff Conine, Roberto Hernandez, Ryan Klesko, Jose Mesa, Reggie Sanders, Mike Stanton, Todd Walker, Rondell White, Woody Williams. Lofton deserved longer consideration. I really don’t think any of the other guys have an argument.
- Earning a vote for reasons that are clear only to the person who cast it: Aaron Sele. Really, who thinks Aaron Sele deserved a vote? For that matter, on what planet does Sandy Alomar, Jr. get 16 votes?
- Fun but sad: Curt Schilling only got 38.8% of the vote, which was a travesty. But hey, Schilling’s number was 38, so it was kinda appropriate.
- Gainers among the guys who actually stand a chance one day: Raines and Bagwell. Raines jumped from 48.7% to 52.2%. Bagwell from 56.0% to 59.6%. I think they’ll eventually make it, but it may take a few years.
- Sorry, you missed your window: Fred McGriff, Lee Smith and Alan Trammell. McGriff went from 23.9% in 2012 to 20.7% in 2013. Smith went from 50.6% to 47.8%. Trammell went from 36.8% to 33.6%. Each of those guys would require a Jack Morris-style surge in order to make it but they’re going in the wrong direction and time is running out.
- The holdover PED guys: Mark McGwire sunk from 19.5% to 16.9%. Rafael Palmeiro went from 12.6% to 8.8%. It’s never gonna happen and Palmeiro may fall off next year.
- A guy with time and little support who may yet have a shot: Larry Walker. He only has 21.6%, down from 22.9% last year. But I feel like we haven’t had a big conversation about him yet and he could very well see a Tim Raines-style jump in voter consciousness once the PED stuff begins to settle down in a couple of years.
There’s a lot more fun to be gleaned from the results. Check them out at the BBWAA site. Assuming Geocities isn’t down, anyway.
At the end of April, Marlins second baseman Dee Gordon was handed an 80-game suspension by Major League Baseball after testing positive for exogenous testosterone and Clostebol, performance-enhancing drugs. Gordon says he took those substances unknowingly.
Gordon will return to the Marlins on Thursday, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. The club was 10-11 prior to Gordon’s suspension. Since then, the club has gone 43-35 and is now tied with the Mets for second place in the NL East, five games behind the Nationals. Impressively, the Marlins have collectively hit .272/.330/.408 in Gordon’s absence, which compares favorably to the league average .252/.320/.410 triple-slash line.
Gordon, who made the NL All-Star team in 2014 and ’15, was hitting .266/.289/.340 with three doubles, two triples, five RBI, 13 runs scored, and six stolen bases in 97 plate appearances. Derek Dietrich has handled second base in the meantime and has done an admirable job, batting .275/.366/.398 with 22 extra-base hits, 30 RBI, and 26 runs scored in 314 PA. Nevertheless, Gordon is likely to return to full-time duty at second base.
Update (10:12 AM EDT): Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball reports the Padres will receive pitcher Hansel Rodriguez from the Blue Jays. Rodriguez is rated as the Jays’ 18th-best prospect by MLB Pipeline. The Jays signed Rodriguez out of the Dominican Republic for $330,000 in February 2014. He’s spent the 2016 season with the Bluefield Blue Jays in rookie ball, compiling a 3.06 ERA with a 26/11 K/BB ratio in 32 1/3 innings over six starts.
The Padres and Blue Jays have agreed on a trade involving outfielder Melvin Upton, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported on Tuesday morning. The Jays will get Upton and the Padres will receive a prospect from Single-A. The financial details are not yet known, but Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune says the Padres are expected to cover a significant portion of his remaining contract. The trade is likely to be finalized on Tuesday.
The two teams opened up a three-game series in Toronto on Monday, so Upton won’t have to go very far to join his new team. The Jays won 4-2 on Monday.
Upton, 31, has had another solid season for the Padres, batting .256/.304/.439 with 16 home runs, 45 RBI, 46 runs scored, and 20 stolen bases in 374 plate appearances. He’s owed the remainder of his $15.45 million salary for the 2016 season and $16.45 million next season, the final year of his five-year contract.
Upton will provide some outfield depth for the Jays, who currently only have Ezequiel Carrera as a full-time back-up outfielder behind Michael Saunders, Kevin Pillar, and Jose Bautista. Bautista was activated from the disabled list on Monday, so Upton could cover right field in the event that Bautista exacerbates his toe injury.
With Upton leaving San Diego, Alex Dickerson is likely to see full-time work in left field in the short term. Prospects Hunter Renfroe and Manuel Margot could be called up at some point this season as well.