After weighing his options for most of the offseason, Scott Hairston is close to making a decision on where he’ll play in 2013. And chances are he’s not going far.
According to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, it appears that the Mets and Yankees are the finalists for Hairston’s services. Casey Close, the outfielder’s agent, says that he continues to talk with both teams that his client should make a decision in a “matter of days.”
“I think he’s a good fit for either team,” Close said. “But there are different roles at each place and Scott is deciding which is the best option for him.”
The Mets are severely lacking in quality options for their outfield, so Hairston would play nearly everyday if he stays in Queens, but he’d likely be used primarily against southpaws with the Yankees. While he has been looking for a multi-year deal this offseason, the Yankees may be reluctant to go there as they attempt to keep their payroll under $189 million for 2014.
Hairston has spent the past two seasons with the Mets and socked a career-high 20 home runs last season. The 32-year-old outfielder has a .751 career OPS, including an .825 OPS against left-handed pitching.
The Dodgers have reinstated first baseman Adrian Gonzalez from the 60-day disabled list after his recovery from a herniated disc. To make room for him they have optioned Rob Segedin to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
Gonzalez last played on June 11. Since then the Dodgers have gone an astounding 46-9, with shoe-in rookie of the year candidate Cody Bellinger handling first base duties and posting a .978 OPS. When Gonzalez went down he was hitting .255/.304/.339 and only one homer in 49 games.
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of playing time he gets going forward. The Dodgers, of course, have a comfortable lead in the NL West, so they could afford to allow Gonzalez to play a good bit to see if his bat sharpens up while simultaneously giving Bellinger, who has never played more than 137 games in a season, a bit of a breather. Beyond that, though, the Dodgers ain’t broke, so it’s hard to see why anyone would want to tinker with things.
The Tampa Bay Rays have activated outfielder Kevin Kiermaier from the 60-day disabled list.
Kiermaier, who fractured his hip in early June, is batting leadoff and playing center field in tonight’s game against the Mariners. He was just 3-for-24 on his rehab assignment, but those aren’t usually predictive of anything. He was hitting .258/.329/.408 when he went down. Getting his bat — and, more importantly, his glove — back in the lineup will boost the struggling Rays in their quest for a playoff spot.