Mets and Yankees are the likely finalists for Scott Hairston

13 Comments

After weighing his options for most of the offseason, Scott Hairston is close to making a decision on where he’ll play in 2013. And chances are he’s not going far.

According to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, it appears that the Mets and Yankees are the finalists for Hairston’s services. Casey Close, the outfielder’s agent, says that he continues to talk with both teams that his client should make a decision in a “matter of days.”

“I think he’s a good fit for either team,” Close said. “But there are different roles at each place and Scott is deciding which is the best option for him.”

The Mets are severely lacking in quality options for their outfield, so Hairston would play nearly everyday if he stays in Queens, but he’d likely be used primarily against southpaws with the Yankees. While he has been looking for a multi-year deal this offseason, the Yankees may be reluctant to go there as they attempt to keep their payroll under $189 million for 2014.

Hairston has spent the past two seasons with the Mets and socked a career-high 20 home runs last season. The 32-year-old outfielder has a .751 career OPS, including an .825 OPS against left-handed pitching.

Corey Knebel sets modern record for consecutive appearances with a strikeout

Stacy Revere/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Brewers closer Corey Knebel set a modern major league record for relievers to start a season, as Thursday’s appearance marked his 38th consecutive appearance with a strikeout. He set down the side in order in the ninth inning, striking Josh Bell out to start the frame.

Aroldis Chapman held the record previously, recording a strikeout in his first 37 appearances of the season in 2014 with the Reds.

Knebel, 25, has flown under the radar despite having an incredibly good season. He moved into the closer’s role in mid-May when Neftali Feliz, now a free agent, struggled. After Thursday’s appearance, Knebel is 12-for-15 in save chances with a 0.96 ERA and a 65/17 K/BB ratio in 37 2/3 innings.

Joey Votto thinks he can win the Home Run Derby, but hasn’t been invited yet

Brian Blanco/Getty Images
3 Comments

Despite having hit at least 20 home runs in eight of his 11 seasons in the majors, Reds first baseman Joey Votto has never participated in a Home Run Derby. Currently, he’s tied for the National League lead in home runs with 20, and he hasn’t been invited to this year’s festivities at Marlins Park.

In the event he is invited, Votto said he thinks he can win it, C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. Votto likened himself to Ichiro Suzuki, a player known more for his contact abilities and mastery of the strike zone than power. “Just think of me as the Canadian Ichiro — Japan has theirs and Canada has theirs,” Votto said. “I could pull homers into the seats at will.”

Along with the 20 homers, Votto is currently hitting .306/.419/.601 with 53 RBI, and 52 runs scored in 313 plate appearances.

Teammate Scott Schebler also has 20 home runs at the moment and Adam Duvall, who made it to the semifinals of the Derby last year, has 16. Neither of them have been approached about participating in the Derby, either. Per Rosecrans, in the event each was invited, Duvall said he would consider participating if he wasn’t an All-Star and Schebler would participate regardless. Votto said he would only participate if he made the All-Star team.