Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported on Saturday night that the Marlins have made contact with the Padres to inquire about their interest in young slugger Giancarlo Stanton. And now comes the big denial, via the Miami Herald‘s Clark Spencer:
Simply put, the Marlins “are not moving him,” according to a source I spoke with. They haven’t even “discussed” it internally. The team’s plans calling for Stanton to start the season with the club and occupy the clean-up spot have “not changed at all,” according to another source with knowledge of the Marlins’ intentions.
Spencer’s source went on to exclaim that Center’s report from Saturday evening is “completely off base” and “totally ridiculous.”
Stanton isn’t even arbitration-eligible until next year and can’t hit the free agent market until after the 2016 season, so the Fish have no real reason to rush him out the door. But he has publicly expressed his displeasure with the club’s latest firesale and one wonders if he’ll have more to say this summer.
Last month, free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon told reporters that he’d be open to taking a minor league deal in 2018, but only if he was guaranteed a return to the Mets’ system. The 44-year-old starter is nearing the end of a 20-year career, and it makes sense that he’d want to have one last hurrah in the city where he had some of his most productive years.
Now, Twins starter Ervin Santana tells Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press, it looks like the Mets might also be open to a reunion. It’s doubtful that Colon has all that much left in the tank, especially following a combined 7-14 record and 6.48 ERA for the Braves and Twins last year, but he’s not necessarily looking to reproduce the 15+ win, sub-4.00 ERA totals of years past.
Instead, Santana says, Colon is seeking the opportunity to win just six more games. He’ll enter the 2018 season five wins shy of the all-time record for a Latin American-born player, and is hoping to claim that title for himself before he enters retirement in 2019. Former Orioles and Expos hurler Dennis Martinez currently holds the record after clinching his 245th win back in 1998. While it took Colon a full season of starts to come up with even seven wins in 2017, he’s only one year removed from a 15-win campaign in 2016. Provided that the Mets are willing to gamble on him again, the milestone may not be that far out of reach.