Image (1) dodgers%20logo.jpg for post 3955

Dodgers “50-50” between Fox Sports and Time Warner for new television deal


Fox Sports have long been considered the favorites to work out the oft-mentioned mega TV deal with the Dodgers, but Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times hears that an agreement between the two sides is no longer a slam dunk.

Whether the Dodgers keep their television broadcasts on Fox Sports or move them to Time Warner Cable appears to be a “50-50” proposition, according to a person familiar with the team’s TV negotiations but not authorized to discuss them.

The Dodgers remain in discussions with Fox and TWC, according to two people familiar with the talks. The Fox exclusive negotiating period expired five weeks ago.

At the time, the Dodgers and Fox were negotiating a deal that could have been worth at least $6 billion over 25 years. However, no deal has been finalized, in part because the Dodgers prefer to avoid a U.S. Bankruptcy Court showdown with Major League Baseball over the structure of the deal.

In the interim, the Dodgers appear increasingly intrigued with the wide latitude TWC might be able to provide for all-day programming — for the team, and perhaps for other entertainment assets of Guggenheim Partners. Mark Walter, the Dodgers’ controlling owner, is chief executive of Guggenheim Partners, which controls Dick Clark Productions.

In a nutshell, there’s disagreement over whether the Dodgers will end up contributing either around $1 billion or $2 billion to MLB’s revenue sharing program, so they are looking at alternative ways to structure a deal that will allow them to keep as much money as possible while making MLB (and the court) happy. As Craig pointed out last month, the difference between these two figures represent more than most teams get for their entire television deal. Some world they are living in.

Brett Lawrie “likely to be traded” by the A’s

Brett Lawrie

Oakland’s re-acquisition of infielder Jed Lowrie from Houston makes it “likely” that the A’s will now trade infielder Brett Lawrie, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Slusser says Lowrie’s arrival “all but ensures” both Lawrie and Danny Valencia are on the trading block, adding that Lawrie “is considered the better bet to be traded.”

Acquired last offseason from the Blue Jays in the Josh Donaldson trade, Lawrie hit .260 with 16 homers and a .706 OPS in 149 games while playing second base and third base. At age 25 he’s a solid player, but Lawrie has failed to live up to his perceived potential while hitting .263 with a .736 OPS in 494 career games.

At this point it sounds like the A’s plan to start Marcus Semien at shortstop and Lowrie at second base.

Gammons: The Red Sox could go $30-40 million higher on David Price than anyone else


Peter Gammons reports that the Red Sox are on a mission to sign David Price and that they will pay some serious money to get him. Gammons quotes one anonymous GM who says that he expects the Sox to “go $30-40 million above anyone else.”

The man calling the shots for the Sox is Dave Dombrowski and he knows Price well, of course, having traded for him in Detroit. But there is going to be serious competition for Price’s services with the Jays and Cubs, among many others, bidding for his services. It would be unusual for a team to outbid the competition by tens of millions as Gammons’ source suggests, but the dollars will be considerable regardless.

Sean Doolittle, Eireann Dolan hosted Syrian refugee families for Thanksgiving

Sean Doolittle

The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving usually means one thing: going to some mildly depressing bar in your hometown and meeting up with all of the people with whom you went to high school.

Oakland A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle and his girlfriend, Eireann Dolan, bypassed that dreary tradition and did something more uplifting instead: they hosted 17 Syrian refugee families for an early Thanksgiving dinner.

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 8.08.24 AM

There has been a lot of controversy lately about U.S. policy regarding Syrian refugees. Based on all of this, the only thing controversial here is that someone is letting that kid be a Chicago Bears fan. That’s no way to introduce anyone to the greatness of America.

Orioles have reached out to Yovani Gallardo

Yovani Gallardo
AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

From Jon Heyman of CBS Sports comes word that the Orioles “like” free agent starter Yovani Gallardo and “have reached out to him” to gauge his interest in coming to Baltimore and what that might cost.

Gallardo rejected a one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer from the Rangers earlier this month and so his free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t hurt his bottom line all that much.

The 29-year-old right-hander posted a solid 3.42 ERA in 184 1/3 innings (33 starts) this past season for Texas and he pitched well in his one ALDS start.

Heyman reported a few weeks ago that the Diamondbacks are interested, and the Cubs, Blue Jays, and Dodgers were tied to him just ahead of the July 31 trade deadline.