Diamondbacks and Padres have discussed Justin Upton-for-Chase Headley deal

11 Comments

Justin Upton has been mentioned in trade rumors for a long time now, but Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has a new one. And it’s pretty juicy.

Justin Upton for Chase Headley?

The Arizona Diamondbacks and San Diego Padres have held on-and-off discussions about a trade involving those players since July, but the talks have failed to progress, according to major-league sources.

The Diamondbacks, however, continue to discuss Upton with other clubs, including the Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners, sources say, while also considering offers for another of their outfielders, Jason Kubel.

Rosenthal speculates that the Padres would likely need to add more to Headley, who is coming off a breakout season in which he finished fifth in the NL MVP balloting. The 28-year-old third baseman projects to make around $8 million via arbitration next season and is under team control through 2014. Meanwhile, Upton doesn’t turn 26 until next August and is under contract for $38.5 million over the next three years. Headley would give the Diamondbacks the third baseman they have been looking for while Jedd Gyorko could take over at third base for the Padres. Talks haven’t gone anywhere and trading within the division is unlikely, but it sure is an interesting scenario.

The Rangers have been connected to Upton all winter and Rosenthal hears that they have been “persistent” and “relentless” in their pursuit. Still, they would prefer to put together a deal with Mike Olt as the centerpiece as opposed to Elvis Andrus or Jurickson Profar. Unsatisfied, the Diamondbacks believe they could find a better deal with a team like the Mariners, who are desperate to add a power hitter. While Upton has the Mariners on his four-team no-trade list, Rosenthal speculates that they could convince him to accept a deal if they extend his contract. The Braves have also made “strong overtures” for Upton, setting up the possibility of teaming him up with his brother, B.J. Upton, who signed a five-year, $75.25 million contract with the club earlier this offseason.

Rob Manfred says Tampa Bay must pick up pace on new stadium

Getty Images
4 Comments

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred wants Tampa Bay to work a little quicker on getting the Rays a new ballpark.

Rays Principal Owner Stuart Sternberg has been working for nearly a decade to get a new stadium for the club and signed a three-year agreement with the City of St. Petersburg early in 2016 to search for a site in the Tampa Bay area. Manfred wants that search to pick up some steam.

“I think it’s fair to say we want the process to take on a better pace moving forward,” Manfred said Wednesday night at Tropicana Field, home of the Rays since their first season in 1998.

The Rays were averaging 15,815 fans per game before Wednesday night’s contest against the Toronto Blue Jays. That is just over half the major league average of 30,470. Tropicana Field and its location have been almost universally blamed as the reason for the poor attendance.

“I’ve been pretty clear that they need a new facility here, a major league quality facility in an A-plus location,” Manfred said. “It is time to move that decision to the front burner here in Tampa.”

The matter of how a stadium would be financed has been tabled until a site is determined, but Sternberg continued to express confidence in the Tampa Bay market.

“I’ve had the opportunity to bail on it many times over the years,” he said. “I won’t say this is a slam dunk, it’s certainly not. But I think we can do something that’ll at least double our attendance. That’s a lot to ask for.”

Manfred said Major League Baseball “doesn’t have a firm timetable” for what steps to take if the Rays fail to get an agreement to build a new stadium in the Tampa Bay area, but but added that “it is a topic of discussion in the industry, the lack of progress.”

More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball

Robinson Cano leaves game with hamstring tightness

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bad news for the Mariners this evening: Robinson Cano left Seattle’s game against the Atlanta Braves with tightness in his left hamstring.

Cano walked off the field after legging out a double — his second of the game — in the third inning. He pulled up as he approached second base and walked off the field, accompanied by a trainer. There was no immediate word on the severity of the injury. The Mariners have a day off Thursday before opening a series at the Yankees on Friday night, so they have some time to evaluate him.

Cano is hitting .277/.377/.460 with 19 homers and 78 RBI on the year.