Yankees catching prospect Austin Romine likely to begin season in minors

19 Comments

Everyone keeps waiting for the Yankees to do something about their underwhelming catching situation, but no moves appear to be on the horizon and today general manager Brian Cashman revealed that catching prospect Austin Romine is likely headed to Triple-A.

“I expect Romine to go to Triple-A,” Cashman said, via Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News. “He missed all of last year, almost … I don’t expect him to be our everyday catcher out of the gate. He always has the possibility of taking it, but realistically, if I were in prediction mode, I’d say Triple-A.”

That makes sense, as Romine played just 31 games last season and never put up big numbers offensively to begin with, failing to crack an .800 OPS in any of his six seasons in the minors.

However, that would also seemingly mean the Yankees are willing to go into the season with a catching duo of former backup Francisco Cervelli–who spent most of last season at Triple-A himself–and journeyman Chris Stewart. Cashman said the Yankees are comfortable “going internal” with Cervelli and Stewart, but that has the potential to be one of the worst-hitting duos in baseball.

Hyun-Jin Ryu will open season in Dodgers’ rotation

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts announced on Monday that Hyun-Jin Ryu will open the regular season in the starting rotation, MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports.

Ryu, 30, missed the entire 2015 season and made only one start last season due to shoulder and elbow injuries. The lefty has looked solid in three spring appearances, however, yielding a lone run on five hits and a walk with eight strikeouts in nine innings.

With Scott Kazmir likely to begin the season on the disabled list, that leaves Alex Wood and Brandon McCarthy to battle it out for the fifth spot in the Dodgers’ rotation.

Jorge Soler diagnosed with strained oblique, Opening Day in doubt

Rob Tringali/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Royals outfielder Jorge Soler has been diagnosed with a strained oblique, making it likely that he begins the regular season on the disabled list, Rustin Dodd of The Kansas City Star reports.

The Royals acquired Soler from the Cubs in December in exchange for reliever Wade Davis. Over parts of three seasons with the Cubs, Soler hit .258/.328/.434 with 27 home runs and 98 RBI in 765 plate appearances.

When he’s healthy, Soler is expected to find himself in the Royals’ lineup as a right fielder and occasionally as a designated hitter.