Yesterday the Rangers made their one-year deal with A.J. Pierzynski official, adding the veteran catcher to the lineup following his career-year for the White Sox, but general manager Jon Daniels also said that he’s still searching for another hitter after losing Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli to free agency.
“We’re looking at that now,” Daniels said, via Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “There’s a decent chance we’ll look to add somebody.”
Daniels went on to say that “somebody” could come via free agency or trade, so it’s tough to narrow down likely targets. However, just in terms of available free agent hitters the pickings are getting very slim.
Our own Matthew Pouliot has been updating his “Free Agency Tracker” and the top remaining position players are center fielder Michael Bourn, first baseman Adam LaRoche, left fielder Delmon Young, first baseman Lance Berkman, second baseman Kelly Johnson, left fielder Scott Hairston, and first baseman Luke Scott.
Bourn and LaRoche would both cost the Rangers a draft pick and none of those other names are particularly appealing. Napoli is also technically unsigned, but even if his three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox falls through a return to Texas seems awfully unlikely.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.