The Athletics have been trying to move to San Jose for a long time now, but with the Giants’ territorial rights continuing to stand in the way, they are ready to make some temporary concessions. According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, A’s owner Lew Wolff is seeking a new five-year lease to keep the team at the Coliseum.
“I stress that the A’s organization certainly prefers to remain in Oakland for the next five years rather than being forced into looking elsewhere for a temporary home venue,” Wolff wrote in a Friday letter to the Coliseum’s Join Powers Authority, among others, which was obtained by The Chronicle.
“If possible, we should retain the 130 full-time jobs and the almost 800 union jobs that encompass a full baseball season, the fun of the A’s, and Major League Baseball in Oakland for five more years.”
The A’s current lease at the Coliseum expires after next season, so a new five-year lease would keep the club in Oakland until 2018. This doesn’t mean Wolff has given up on the idea of eventually moving to San Jose, as he told the Chronicle that the club would likely have a lot of work to do on a potential move even if it was approved right now. While it sounds like a negotiating tactic more than anything else, Wolff says he has “options” for a temporary venue if a new lease can’t be worked out at the Coliseum.
The Athletics have played at the Coliseum since moving from Kansas City in 1968.
Three players were suspended on Monday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. They are: Indians pitcher Steve Delabar, Mariners pitcher Jonathan Aro, and free agent pitcher Jeffry Hernandez. Aro got a 50-game suspension while the other two were handed 80-game suspensions.
Delabar, 33, hasn’t pitched yet this season after signing a minor league deal with the Indians back in January. He spent last year with the Reds as well as the Hiroshima Carp in the Japan Central League. The right-hander has struggled over the last few seasons.
Aro, 26, also hasn’t appeared yet this season in the minors. He’s worked mostly in relief. The right-hander appeared briefly in the majors with the Mariners last season and logged 10 1/3 innings in the show with the Red Sox in 2015. Aro went to the Mariners along with Wade Miley in the trade that brought the Red Sox Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.
Hernandez, 22, is a free agent and his suspension will be effective if and when he signs with a new team.
The Phillies announced on Monday that starter Aaron Nola has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 21, with a lower back strain.
Nola, 23, compiled a 4.50 ERA with a 15/6 K/BB ratio over his first three starts spanning 16 innings. He felt some back soreness during his last start on Thursday against the Mets, and it lingered when he had a side session on Sunday.
CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury hears that the Phillies are likely to call up Nick Pivetta from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Nola’s place in the rotation. Nola was scheduled to start on Wednesday.
Pivetta, 24, was acquired from the Nationals in the Jonathan Papelbon trade in July 2015. At Triple-A so far, Pivetta has given up only two earned runs on 12 hits and two walks with 24 strikeouts in 19 innings.