The Athletics have been trying to move to San Jose for a long time now, but with the Giants’ territorial rights continuing to stand in the way, they are ready to make some temporary concessions. According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, A’s owner Lew Wolff is seeking a new five-year lease to keep the team at the Coliseum.
“I stress that the A’s organization certainly prefers to remain in Oakland for the next five years rather than being forced into looking elsewhere for a temporary home venue,” Wolff wrote in a Friday letter to the Coliseum’s Join Powers Authority, among others, which was obtained by The Chronicle.
“If possible, we should retain the 130 full-time jobs and the almost 800 union jobs that encompass a full baseball season, the fun of the A’s, and Major League Baseball in Oakland for five more years.”
The A’s current lease at the Coliseum expires after next season, so a new five-year lease would keep the club in Oakland until 2018. This doesn’t mean Wolff has given up on the idea of eventually moving to San Jose, as he told the Chronicle that the club would likely have a lot of work to do on a potential move even if it was approved right now. While it sounds like a negotiating tactic more than anything else, Wolff says he has “options” for a temporary venue if a new lease can’t be worked out at the Coliseum.
The Athletics have played at the Coliseum since moving from Kansas City in 1968.
Mets right-hander Matt Harvey is heading to the bullpen, according to comments made by club manager Mickey Callaway on Saturday. As predicted, Harvey doesn’t appear to be taking the news particularly well, going so far as to tell Callaway that the decision has him “at a 10 with being pissed off” and that he’s motivated to prove himself as a starter.
It’s been rough going for Harvey this spring. After missing significant time to a shoulder injury last season, the 29-year-old righty returned to the mound with a lot left to prove. He pitched to an 0-2 record in four starts, issuing 14 runs, four home runs and 17 strikeouts in 21 innings. It’s been a while since the Mets have seen anything better out of their starter — he hasn’t turned in a sub-4.00 ERA since 2015 and hasn’t pitched well enough to earn an All-Star berth since 2013 — and now it appears they’re at the end of their rope.
At this point, the Mets insist that the shift is a temporary one. While Callaway has helped successfully convert several starters to the bullpen, including Trevor Bauer and Carlos Carrasco, that’s not the plan for this veteran right-hander. Instead, both the team and Harvey seem to view the change as a way to clear up any mental blocks Harvey may be encountering on the mound. “We know he’s healthy,” assistant GM John Ricco told reporters. “He’s feeling good. Then you get to, is this a little bit of a mental thing, a confidence thing? One of the things we talk about is getting him into the ‘pen, where he can have success in short spurts, get that confidence back and really let it go and get back to being a guy who can dominate the way he’s shown in the past.”
Harvey will be eligible to pitch out of the bullpen on Tuesday, when the Mets are scheduled to kick off their next road series against the Cardinals. As for his replacement, left-hander Jason Vargas will resume his role in the rotation when he comes off the disabled list next Saturday.