hamilton getty

Angels hire Josh Hamilton’s accountability partner


Angels owner Arte Moreno told reporters soon after Josh Hamilton’s introductory press conference on Saturday at Downtown Disney that there was “no special language” in the outfielder’s five-year, $125 million contract laying out consequences for a potential drug or alcohol relapse. But that doesn’t mean Anaheim’s higher-ups aren’t taking measures to ensure that Hamilton remains on the right path.

According to beat writer Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have hired Hamilton’s accountability partner, Shayne Kelley, away from the Rangers. He will technically serve as a major league staff assistant for the Halos, but Kelley’s primary objective will be to ensure that Hamilton makes good decisions at home and on the road. That presumably involves regular check-ins and drug tests.

Hamilton had two known relapses during his time with Texas — most recently in February 2012.

The Angels are obviously hoping for five seasons of healthy, incident-free production from the former No. 1 overall pick, who told USA Today in 2006 that he had “literally tried every drug on the street.”

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.