Tigers former third base coach had eye problems last season

13 Comments

1. Tigers fans grumbled about third base coach Gene Lamont sending runners into outs last year.

2. The Tigers make Gene Lamont bench coach and name Tom Brookens third base coach.

3. At the Winter Meetings last week, Jim Leyland said it was because Lamont has leg trouble.

4. In a radio interview yesterday, Brookens said that, in addition to the leg issues, Lamont had an eye problem last year.

5. Yes, you read that correctly, the third base coach had trouble with his eyes. Kinda concerning?

6. When asked, Brookens said of his third base coaching style in the minors: “I like to send guys if I think they got a chance and if they get thrown out, so be it.”

There you are, Tigers fans. I know the holiday season is busy, so there are your talking points in the event you want to get angry about something today.

(Thanks to Allison, who probably shouldn’t be up this early but is anyway, for the heads up)

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.