Everyone’s sorry about how Michael Young’s situation played out in Texas

43 Comments

Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas has an in-depth story about Michael Young’s departure from Texas and all of the drama that surrounded his final three years with the Rangers.

Interesting: Jon Daniels admits that he didn’t handle things well following Young’s trade demand in the 2010-11 offseason following the team’s pickup of Adrian Beltre. Daniels doesn’t elaborate, but he said he learned a lot then and, as of now, no longer discusses the status of current players with the media.

Also interesting: Young admits that he didn’t handle things well when he was moved to third base off shortstop prior to the 2009 season after Elvis Andrus was given the starting shortstop gig. That precipitated an earlier trade demand. Now, however, he says that “if I could go back in time, I would have embraced it as a great challenge.”

Seems like a lot of reasonableness is afoot. Young says, however, that he has no relationship with the Rangers’ front office and, prior to the trade to Philly, had told them to deal only through his agent.

I would assume that all of this will be forgotten in a couple of years when Young returns to Texas as a coach, goodwill ambassador or — depending on how he does in Philly — a bench guy/DH playing out the remainder of his career where he was always happiest, front office strife or not.

UPDATE:  This is interesting. The comments from Young about his regret in the way he handled his trade demand before the 2009 season came from his press conference with the Phillies yesterday. These comments are getting big play in stories like the linked one here from Durrett.  Absent from most of the writeups, however, were a comment Young made about how he handled his second trade demand, in the 2010-11 offseason:

 

Interesting how that — which would otherwise be a juicy quote — doesn’t make most of these stories.

Report: Bryan Shaw has two multiyear offers on the table

Getty Images
1 Comment

Free agent reliever Bryan Shaw has received two multiyear offers, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. The teams in question have not been revealed, but the demand for Shaw is expected to be high as he comes off of a career-best season.

The 30-year-old right-hander went 4-6 in 79 appearances for the Indians, drawing a 3.52 ERA, 2.6 BB/9 and 8.6 SO/9 in 76 2/3 innings. He ranked 12th among qualified relievers with 1.6 fWAR, his highest mark to date, and proved instrumental in helping the club reach their second consecutive division title in 2017.

The Mets are the last known team to show interest in Shaw, as the New York Post’s Mike Puma reported Wednesday. Nothing has been officially confirmed by the club yet, naturally, but they could still use a couple of arms to round out the bullpen behind Jerry Blevins, AJ Ramos and Jeurys Familia and it’s worth noting that the right-hander has already worked closely with Mets’ skipper and former Indians’ pitching coach Mickey Callaway. While Shaw’s proven consistency and durability should appeal to a wide variety of teams, he’s due for a big payday after making just $4.6 million in his last year with the Indians.