Robinson Cano will not take hometown discount to stay with Yankees

34 Comments

And now, for the least shocking story of the day. Mark Feinsand and Christian Red of the New York Daily News were told by sources that Robinson Cano will not accept a hometown discount in order to stay with the Yankees when his contract is up after next season.

“I don’t think he’ll be with the Yankees beyond next season,” one of the sources told the Daily News. “He’s not giving them a hometown discount, and they seem to be more interested in keeping their payroll down than winning.”

Cano is represented by Scott Boras, so anybody who is surprised by this report just isn’t paying attention. This may be Cano’s only chance at free agency, so why would he be expected to take a hometown discount, anyway? What is interesting is that one source suggested that Cano will likely be aiming for a contract similar to Alex Rodriguez’s 10-year deal with the Yankees. And we all know how well that has worked out so far. The speculation is that the experience with A-Rod could potentially scare the Yankees away, but the truth of the matter is that a 31-year-old second baseman asking for 10 years should give most teams pause.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.