Michael Schwimer Getty

UPDATE: Michael Schwimer has not filed a grievance against the Phillies

20 Comments

UPDATE: Schwimer’s agent, Jeff Borris, tells Salisbury that no grievance has been filed against the Phillies. However, he did ask the MLBPA to investigate the matter. It’s still possible a grievance could be filed.

“I believed Michael could have been sent down while he was hurt so I turned the matter over to the union to investigate whether a potential grievance was there,” agent Jeff Borris said. “I haven’t heard anything since.”

Bob Lenaghan, assistant general counsel for the MLBPA, says the investigation is ongoing.

8:38 PM: Some of you may remember that there was a little bit of drama between the Phillies and right-hander Michael Schwimer earlier this summer after he claimed that he should have been placed on the disabled list with elbow soreness rather than sent to the minors. He eventually reported to Triple-A Lehigh Valley and finished the season there, but the issue isn’t completely in the rear-view mirror.

According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the MLBPA has filed a grievance against the Phillies on behalf of Schwimer. Assuming it is successful, Schwimer could potentially be compensated for what he would have earned had he been on the disabled list.

Schwimer, who turns 27 in February, posted a 4.46 ERA and 36/16 K/BB ratio over 34 1/3 innings this past season. He is healthy now and remains on the Phillies’ 40-man roster.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
3 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
7 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.