UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says it’s a three-year, $39 million deal.
Rob Bradford of WEEI reports that the Red Sox are close to a three-year deal with Mike Napoli. No figures have been reported yet, but Bradford says Napoli will be the Sox’ primary first base option.
Napoli, 31, batted .227/.343/.469 with 24 home runs and 56 RBI in 417 plate appearances this past season for the Rangers. He had a career-best .320/.414/.631 batting line, 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 432 plate appearances the season before.
The Nationals announced that third baseman Anthony Rendon has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 19, with a toe contusion. Pitcher Austin Adams was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse.
Rendon fouled a pitch off of his foot on April 13 in a game against the Rockies. The Nationals were hoping he wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list, which is why he was day-to-day for a week and a half. Unfortunately, Rendon’s stint on the DL can only be backdated to Thursday, so he won’t be eligible to return until this weekend.
Rendon, 27, is hitting .286/.355/.411 with a home run and four RBI in 62 plate appearances so far this season. Wilmer Difo has been handling third base while Rendon has been out and figures to continue doing so for the next week or so.