Derek Jeter says “no question” he’ll be in the Opening Day lineup

2 Comments

Alex Rodriguez may end up missing the entire first half following hip surgery, but Derek Jeter thinks he’ll be in the Opening Day lineup despite breaking his ankle in the ALCS.

Just two weeks ago Yankees manager Joe Girardi called Jeter’s status for Opening Day “a little bit of a question mark” but today during a radio interview with Michael Kay the 38-year-old shortstop said there’s “no question” he’ll be ready for Game 1:

I’ll be in the walking boot for another few weeks and then I’ll be good to go. It’s been a long process. What’s it been, six or seven weeks, where I haven’t been able to move too much? But it’s healing probably just as expected. We still got a long way to go before the season starts but I’ll be ready.

Kay also asked Jeter about the New York Post photo suggesting he’d put on some weight during the rehab process and he brushed it off: “I thought it was pretty funny. I guess there’s a lot of things you can do with a picture.”

Sure enough Jeter took a picture yesterday with Harold Reynolds that shows he’s anything but chubby.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”