Francisco Rodriguez

Francisco Rodriguez has domestic violence charges dismissed

Leave a comment

With seemingly no one interested in testifying against him, Francisco Rodriguez had the domestic violence charges brought against him in Wisconsin dropped on Thursday.

K-Rod was accused of striking and injuring his 23-year-old girlfriend in September, but the woman later recanted and said that Rodriguez didn’t cause her injuries.

Both the woman and a member of the household staff in Rodriguez’s home that night who witnessed the argument have returned to Venezuela and haven’t responded to the prosecutor attempting to bring the case to trial.

“At this point, I can’t drag her back kicking and screaming,” district attorney Brad Schimel told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Regardless of how the dismissal unfolded, not having the case hanging over his head will make Rodriguez a more attractive free agent this winter. Still, this being his second domestic violence arrest, some teams are certain to stay away. At 31, it’s unlikely that he’s finished as a quality reliever. However, he’s no longer so good that teams will overlook his baggage.

Report: Orioles close to acquiring Vidal Nuno from the Dodgers

ARLINGTON, TX - AUGUST 30:  Vidal Nuno #38 of the Seattle Mariners pitches against the Texas Rangers in the bottom of the seventh inning at Globe Life Park in Arlington on August 30, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are close to acquiring pitcher Vidal Nuno from the Dodgers in exchange for pitcher Ryan Moseley.

Nuno, 29, went to the Dodgers from the Mariners in the Carlos Ruiz trade this past November. He and the Dodgers avoided arbitration last month, agreeing on a $1.125 million salary for the 2017 season. The left-hander finished the 2016 campaign with a 3.53 ERA and a 51/11 K/BB ratio in 58 2/3 innings spanning one start and 54 relief appearances.

Nuno will provide the Orioles starting pitching depth and could serve as a valuable left-handed option out of the bullpen.

Moseley, 22, played his first season of professional baseball in the New York Penn League last year. In 12 relief appearances, he put up a 3.20 ERA and an 18/9 K/BB ratio across 19 2/3 innings. The Orioles selected him in the eighth round of the 2016 draft.

Report: Mets, Neil Walker discussing a contract extension

NEW YORK, NY - JULY 31:  Neil Walker #20 of the New York Mets reacts after his first-inning RBI triple against the Colorado Rockies at Citi Field on July 31, 2016 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City.  (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that Mets GM Sandy Alderson and second baseman Neil Walker‘s agent have been in contact about a contract extension as recently as Saturday. The extension is reportedly three years, including the 2017 season, and “north of $40 million,” according to Ackert’s source.

Walker, 31, accepted the Mets’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. He’s coming off one of the better seasons of his eight-year career, finishing with a .282/.347/.476 triple-slash line along with 23 home runs and 55 RBI in 458 plate appearances. Walker’s season ended in late August as he underwent a lumbar microdisectomy.