b.j. upton getty

B.J. Upton agrees to five-year, $75 million deal with Braves

12 Comments

UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com now says Upton is “in agreement” with the Braves on a deal, pending a physical exam.

UPDATE #2: David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution indicates that it’ll be a five- or six-year contract and says there probably won’t be an official announcement until tomorrow.

UPDATE #3: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that it’s a five-year deal worth at least $70 million.

UPDATE #4: Nothing is official yet, but it might as well be after Upton changed his Twitter avatar to the following:

source:

==========

“In serious talks” seems to be the buzz phrase of this offseason–see here and here, among others–and the latest usage is Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reporting that free agent center fielder B.J. Upton is “in serious talks” with the Braves on a multi-year contract.

A few days ago reports had Upton looking to decide on his new team by the end of this week and the teams most often linked to him have been the Braves and Phillies.

Upton has posted some terrible on-base percentages in recent years, but he’s a very young free agent at 28 and combines 25-homer power with 40-steal speed and excellent range defensively in center field. With the Braves he’d be replacing Michael Bourn, who’s also a free agent after one-and-a-half seasons in Atlanta.

Report: Teams have inquired with the Angels about Hector Santiago

ANAHEIM, CA - JULY 20:  Hector Santiago #53 of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitches during the first inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers  at Angel Stadium of Anaheim on July 20, 2016 in Anaheim, California.  (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.

Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.

Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.

We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.

Prince Fielder will undergo season-ending neck surgery this week

SEATTLE, WA - JUNE 10: Prince Fielder #84 takes a swing during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on June 10, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The Mariners won the game 7-5. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
5 Comments

The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.

Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.

Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.