David Wright Getty

The Mets lowball David Wright


UPDATE: The Mets have sweetened their offer.

8:23 AMKen Rosenthal reports that the Mets have made David Wright an offer he’s almost certain to reject: six years, $100 million.

Executives around the league have figured that Wright would get something north of $125 million. Sources close to Wright have said that he wants seven years. This deal is basically what Evan Longoria and Ryan Zimmerman got. Longoria, however, is obviously in a different situation, in that he was four years from free agency when he got his deal.  Zimmerman is not the player that Wright is.

Maybe this is just an opening salvo. A test to see just how married David Wright is to the idea of staying in New York.  But it sure seems that $100 million is a lowball offer. Especially in an offseason when all signs point to teams getting more generous, not less.  It makes one think that the Mets are more interested in trading Wright than keeping him.

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.