Russell Martin Getty

Russell Martin is a travelin’ man


Much like fellow free agent Mike Napoli, Russell Martin is staying busy on the road as he tries to land his next contract.

Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York was told by Martin’s agent, Matt Colleran, that the free agent catcher recently visited “multiple cities” to see if they would be the right fit. Colleran declined to say where he went, so they are nothing more than “mystery cities” for now, but Marchand was told by a source earlier this month that the Rangers, Mariners, Pirates and Red Sox had expressed interest.

The Yankees remain in the hunt for Martin and appear willing to give him a multi-year contract. Colleran said there’s no timetable on a decision, but that he could sign before the Winter Meetings begin next Monday. The Yankees are considering A.J. Pierzynski as a potential fallback option, but aren’t involved on Napoli.

Martin, who turns 30 in February, batted .211/.311/.403 with 21 home runs, 53 RBI and a .713 OPS this past season.

Shawn Tolleson becomes a free agent

Leave a comment

The Rangers outrighted reliever Shawn Tolleson off the 40-man roster on Wednesday. Rather than accept the assignment to Triple-A Round Rock, Tolleson has opted to become a free agent, Rangers executive VP of communications John Blake reports.

Tolleson, 28, emerged as a closer for the Rangers in 2015, but his follow-up campaign this year was dreadful. He finished with a 7.68 ERA and a 29/10 K/BB ratio in 36 1/3 innings. He eventually went on the 60-day disabled list with a back injury.

Despite the nightmarish season, it’s easy to see a team deciding to take a flier on Tolleson for the 2017 season.

Indians strongly considering starting Carlos Santana in left field sans DH

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 19:  Carlos Santana #41 of the Cleveland Indians celebrates after hitting a solo home run in the third inning against Marco Estrada #25 of the Toronto Blue Jays during game five of the American League Championship Series at Rogers Centre on October 19, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Elsa/Getty Images

Indians slugger Carlos Santana hasn’t played in the outfield in a major league game since 2012, but the Indians are strongly considering starting him in left field for Game 3 of the World Series at Wrigley Field on Friday,’s Jordan Bastian reports. As the game is hosted in a National League park, there is no DH rule in effect, so the Indians might otherwise have to keep Santana on the bench.

Santana is hitless in six at-bats in the World Series thus far, but he has drawn two walks. He has overall not had a great postseason, carrying an aggregate .564 OPS in 40 plate appearances since the beginning of the playoffs. Still, during the regular season, he had an .865 OPS so he can certainly be a threat on offense at any given moment.