Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Cubs and others have inquired about Giancarlo Stanton

30 Comments

The Marlins have stated that they’re not shopping young slugger Giancarlo Stanton, who is still inexpensive and the last consistent source of offensive production on their active roster.

Of course, that hasn’t stopped teams from calling.

A major league source told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe this weekend that “the Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Cubs and many more” have inquired about Stanton since that blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays was made public. But Cafardo notes that commissioner Bud Selig is “watching the Marlins closely” and “may not look to fondly upon a deal for the Marlins’ biggest draw.”

Stanton, who just turned 23 years old, batted .290/.361/.608 with 37 home runs and 86 RBI in 123 games this past season for Miami. If the Fish do deal him, they’ll want a loaded package of prospects in return.

Six-year old boy reports the Indians want to give Francisco Lindor a seven-year contract

3 Comments

The substance of the report is not shocking. Francisco Lindor is one of baseball’s brightest young stars and the Cleveland Indians would, no doubt, wish to lock him up for an extended period of time. The surprising part is the guy who reported that, yes, the Indians are working to get Lindor a seven-year extension.

That guy: six-year-old Brody Chernoff, son of Indians general manager Mike Chernoff. Brody was invited into the team’s broadcast booth during the ninth inning of their game against the Chicago White Sox. Indians announcer Tom Hamilton asked, no doubt jokingly, if his working on anything interesting. Brody:

“He’s trying to get, um, Lindor to play for seven more years,”

Again, not shocking. It would’ve been way worse if Brody had said “Dad’s working on a three-way deal that’ll send Naquin to an NL team in order to affect a three-way trade that’ll land us Verlander without having to deal directly with a divisional rival.” But I imagine Dad still would’ve preferred he not mention that.

Watch:

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.