Kyle Blanks, Padres avoid arbitration with one-year deal

3 Comments

Injuries have derailed Kyle Blanks’ career, causing the 6-foot-6 slugger to go from 22-year-old top prospect to 26-year-old question mark, but the first baseman/outfielder will remain with the Padres for another season.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Blanks has agreed to a one-year, $605,000 contract that allows him to avoid arbitration with the Padres following a year in which he missed all but a handful of games due to shoulder surgery.

When healthy enough to play Blanks has never stopped putting up huge numbers in the minors and had an impressive big-league debut in 2009, but since then he’s hit just .202 in 92 games for the Padres while missing big chunks of time following elbow and shoulder surgeries.

There was some speculation that he could be non-tendered, but the one-year deal allows the Padres to stick with him for a modest price.

Carlos Gomez doesn’t see any need to apologize for walk-off homer celebration

Joseph Garnett Jr. /Getty Images
1 Comment

On Sunday, Rays outfielder Carlos Gomez hit a walk-off home run against the Twins. He was very fired up about his accomplishment and celebrated:

The Twins have already gotten upset with a player for bunting while Jose Berrios worked on a one-hit shutout. No one on the Twins said anything about Gomez’s antics, but even if they had, Gomez wouldn’t have felt any need to apologize, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Gomez said, “It’s something I know a lot of people are talking good about this, that baseball needs more of that. And some people say it’s not good. If enjoying and having fun in baseball is bad, I’m guilty.”

He added, “I was not trying to disrespect anybody. I was not looking to the other side, not looking at the ball. I was looking at my guys.”

Gomez also said that baseball is “getting a little boring.” His advice? “Enjoy it. Have fun. It’s competition.”

Can’t argue with that.