Ichiro, Kuroda the latest Japanese players to bail on the WBC

13 Comments

First Yu Darvish, then Hisashi Iwakuma, then Norichika Aoki and now Ichiro Suzuki and Hiroki Kuroda are giving the WBC a miss:

Ichiro Suzuki has told Japanese baseball officials he has decided not to take part in next year’s World Baseball Classic. Suzuki said Monday, “I appreciate being asked to play for Japan again at the WBC, but after the second tournament in 2009 I never considered playing in the third event” … Yankees’ pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, also a free agent, also said Monday he would not play in the WBC.

It’s not like Japan has a shortage of baseball talent or anything, but it is notable just how many of the big names who went stateside aren’t playing in the WBC.

Report: Bryan Shaw has two multiyear offers on the table

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent reliever Bryan Shaw has received two multiyear offers, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. The teams in question have not been revealed, but the demand for Shaw is expected to be high as he comes off of a career-best season.

The 30-year-old right-hander went 4-6 in 79 appearances for the Indians, drawing a 3.52 ERA, 2.6 BB/9 and 8.6 SO/9 in 76 2/3 innings. He ranked 12th among qualified relievers with 1.6 fWAR, his highest mark to date, and proved instrumental in helping the club reach their second consecutive division title in 2017.

The Mets are the last known team to show interest in Shaw, as the New York Post’s Mike Puma reported Wednesday. Nothing has been officially confirmed by the club yet, naturally, but they could still use a couple of arms to round out the bullpen behind Jerry Blevins, AJ Ramos and Jeurys Familia and it’s worth noting that the right-hander has already worked closely with Mets’ skipper and former Indians’ pitching coach Mickey Callaway. While Shaw’s proven consistency and durability should appeal to a wide variety of teams, he’s due for a big payday after making just $4.6 million in his last year with the Indians.