David Broughton of Sports Business Journal has an interesting article about the increase in bobblehead doll giveaways across baseball, including this fact: MLB teams gave away 2.27 million bobbleheads in 2012.
That’s more than any other type of giveaway, including the usual favorites like t-shirts and hats.
There were a total of 94 bobblehead giveaway days, which is 25 percent more than last year, and the Dodgers had the most with 11.
In all bobbleheads represented 12.3 percent of the 767 total giveaways at MLB ballparks and Broughton’s article has a bunch of interesting data about the other 87.7 percent too.
The Yankees interviewed Aaron Boone for their managerial vacancy on Friday, and today it was Chris Woodward’s turn. That makes at least five interviews since the offseason began, and Woodward’s likely won’t be the last.
Like fellow candidate Eric Wedge, whom the Yankees interviewed just last week, Woodward has never played or coached for the club. He spent the majority of his 12-year career with the Blue Jays and picked up brief stints with the Mets, Braves, Mariners and Red Sox before returning to Toronto for his final season in 2011. Following retirement, he served as the Mariners’ minor league infield coordinator and infield and first base coach from 2012-2015. During the 2015 offseason, he jumped over to the National League to work with the Dodgers as a third base coach, and saw his first postseason run since the Mets lost to the Dodgers in the 2006 NLDS.
While Woodward has yet to manage at the major league level, he was named manager of the New Zealand national team during the 2017 World Baseball Classic qualifiers. It’s certainly conceivable that the Yankees would prefer a candidate with significant experience leading a major league team, but right now the only person who fits that bill is Eric Wedge — and, well, it’s Eric Wedge.